Sunday, January 03, 2016

Sabbath Coffee Tour: Chicago Edition; Intelligentsia at Millenium Park

While I was on vacation, I took my coffee tour to Chicago.  At the recommendation of my good friend Eric, I checked out Intelligentsia at Millennium Park.  I enjoyed a Black Cat Macchiato.  The Black Cat Espresso is an initiative put forth by Intelligentsia to create exquisite, single origin, espressos.  This Macchiato was delicious.  Intelligentsia roasts all of their beans at a central Roasting Works in Chicago.

This Coffee Shop is located just off the Red Line "L" near Millennium Park (Lake street stop), an easy walk from Lakeshore Dr, the Loop, or the Magnificent Mile.

The coffee shop was fairly crowded when I was there, so I sat at the bar near the pour over work station. There are just about eight tables and a few chairs at the bar, so seating is not plentiful.  I could not locate any outlets.

This coffee bar is fairly bustling, due to its location and large amounts of foot traffic on the street outside. This atmosphere, and also the limited seating, makes it perhaps not the best choice for working.  However, it is an excellent place for settling down with a cup of coffee and enjoying conversation, which is exactly what I did.

I was reading a provocative book on death (another part of my free time as a chaplain) and the man sitting next to me struck up a conversation. It turns out he was a Lutheran pastor in Boston, returning home to visit his family in Chicago.

The coffee was delicious, the baristas were skilled and friendly, and the atmosphere was warm.  Great job Intelligentsia!

No comments: