Thursday, December 10, 2009

Gluten Free and (sort of) loving it

So, just recently I was told that I need to eat a gluten free diet.  This is a lot more difficult than it sounds, as it is not as simple as avoiding bread.  Gluten free means eliminating wheat, barley and rye from one's diet.  Gluten is in everything from cereal to tortillas to beer to most artificial flavorings and processed foods.  I used to think that there was NO WAY that I could avoid gluten, it was just too difficult.  However, I have been impressed at the variety of options that exist.  Plus, having to prepare my food from scratch (canned foods contain additives with gluten and prepared meals do as well) forces me to eat a lot healthier.  I am also impressed at the general awareness surrounding gluten intolerance.  I am thankful for my friends Kylie and Bertrand at school who have provided recipes, advice and lists of restaurants.  I am exceptionally thankful for the wonderful surprise after our faculty meeting: Gluten-free chocolate cake!  I was not expecting to be able to eat Jan's birthday cake and was floored when I found out that it had been baked gluten-free! 

However, since eliminating gluten from my diet I am feeling infinitely better!  I had gotten to the point where I would do just about anything to stop the headaches and major stomach issues.  So, it has been interesting to find out what I CAN eat and what does not work out so well.  Below are pictures of some of my gluten free cooking adventures. 


Quinoa with Black Beans and Curry Sauce













Black Bean Enchiladas with homemade sauce














Gluten-Free (rice) noodles with homemade tomato basil alfredo sauce. 

No comments: