Tuesday, October 06, 2009

two days until PRK surgery

The eye surgeon told me to take Neurontin in preparation for surgery this week. Because this medication is a nerve blocker, the theory is that it will lessen the pain after the surgery. I am supposed to be taking these three times a day. I took my first dose last night and it is not going to work for me to continue. Evidently one of the side effects is extreme drowsiness. I would say so! Twelve hours later I was still so out of it I could hardly get up for work. Think taking five benadryl instead of the recommended dose. So the surgeon told me to take two pills on the day of the surgery and the day after. Hopefully that will be enough. The particular combination of Acular and Zymar stings a lot, but I hear that probably comes from eye dryness related to wearing contacts. Which is one of the reasons that I am having this surgery.

No comments: