Friday, March 02, 2007

Eviction

A few weeks ago I was walking to work from the bus stop downtown. Along Colfax there are a large number of rental properties, some of which are for low-income people. The sidewalk was strewn with clothes, bedding, a bed, a couch, bookshelves and piles and piles of trash. An eviction had taken place. Also, in my own apartment complex, which can also be classified as low-income, because face it, that is what I am, an eviction took place around the same time. With both dumpsters overflowing with someone's belongings and baby clothes scattered in the alley.
How dehumanizing! What can be more disheartening than to be struggling to pay the rent, maybe even late with the rent and to come home to the apartment that is standing between you and homelessness and find all your belongings outside and the locks changed. I am not sure that there is any way around this, but there has to be a better way.
Everyday I am so grateful for the fact that I have such a positive position in life. I have been blessed with so many things over my lifetime, and while I am indeed "low-income" right now, I know that I will not be here forever. I was able to go to College, and come out with a minimal amount of loans. I was able to make the decision to voluntarily earn NO MONEY for an entire year. I know that I can move back in with my family at any time. I have a job, and the education and life skills to keep it.

No comments: