Friday, September 25, 2015

Sabbath Coffee Tour: Keen Eye Coffee (38th Street and 28th Ave, Minneapolis)

Credit D.Gayman to Keen Eye Facebook
In my ongoing quest for coffee, I explored Keen Eye Coffee in the Standish-Ericcson neighborhood of south Minneapolis. This small neighborhood shop brews coffees from local roaster B&W Specialty coffee which has a roastery off Hennepin Ave in Minneapolis.

It was a cloudy and drizzly day, so I decided to have a little extra caffeine. I ordered a depth charge (shot of espresso dropped into brewed coffee).  I had the Columbian dark roast with a shot of house espresso. The Columbian was rich and deep, with no acidic aftertaste. The barista provided fresh cream in a server directly out of the fridge (no room temperature nastiness here!).

The space was welcoming and great for working. A bar along one window, with scattered armchairs and tables.  Free wifi is available, along with outlets. I spent about 90 minutes working on my mandala coloring book, enjoying my coffee and the quiet of the space. There was music playing, but it pleasant and added to the ambiance. Baristas (I think one might have been the owner) were friendly and welcoming to all customers.

There is food available as well, although I did not have any on this visit. There seem to be a variety of baked goods (with a note online about gluten free available) as well as soup and other lunch foods.

I walked to this coffee shop from my home, but there is street parking available. This coffee shop is located near the bustling brewpub Northbound Smokehouse, and the Hiawatha rail line, so happy hour and dinner time parking might be a challenge.

Keen Eye Coffee was a welcoming and cozy neighborhood coffee shop. I can't wait to go back and try their soups!

No comments: