Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 24 photo challenge

A picture of something you wish you could change.

One thing I feel very passionately about is equal rights for the LGBTQ community.  As an ally, I firmly believe this is THE civil rights issue of my generation and we cannot stop fighting for equality until homophobia, intolerance and bigotry are dead.

Today there was a small victory in California when the gay judge who struck down Prop 8 successfully weathered a challenge to his impartiality.  Amen.  Even though California has a long way to go.

In the meantime, states continue to legalize gay marriage, albeit slowly.  New York announced today that it was one vote away from securing passage of a bill to permit same sex marriage.  I wish we did not have to "legalize" love and commitment between two adults.  In fact, it is really sad.  It is my prayer that one day that we can look back at these years and wonder what we were so afraid of.  In the meantime, you will find me at Denver's PRIDE festival this weekend celebrating with my friends.

No comments: