Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A tide of changes

Back around last Christmas, when I decided that I was going to upend everything in my life (job, city, grad school), I was expecting that these changes would happen gradually.  I started by submitting resumes to jobs I might be interested in, thinking that once I got a job offer I would move to Denver.  Then in the fall, I would attend grad school part time, while working full-time to support myself.  After having a number of interviews, and no offers, I decided that continuing on business-as-usual in Boulder was not within the realm of possibility.  I needed to get out of this situation. 

When driving home from Denver one night with my friend Cristina, I was asked what I was going to do.  In the typical fashion of how these crazy coincidences work out, I declared that I was going to move in Denver anyway, irregardless of a job, and have faith that everything would work out.  This is kind of out of character for me, this sort of leaping-before-you-look behavior.  I am a bit of a planner, perhaps to a fault.  But once I made the decision to begin looking for an apartment in Denver, and let everything else fall where it may, I felt so at peace.  

So I found a new place to live, and decided I would commute up to Boulder as long as necessary.  Just two days before I moved down here, my financial aid came through from Iliff School of Theology, so that I would be able to go to school full-time, and not have to work to support myself.  This was entirely unprecedented, I was not really expecting any financial aid.  

When I first moved, I took a few days off work to get settled in.  Last Monday afternoon I received a call from a friend who works at a human services agency in Denver.  She mentioned that her organization was looking at hiring a temporary case manager until the fall, and would I be interested.  The next day I interviewed and was offered the position.  After giving all the appropriate people notice, I accepted the job.  So my last day in my current position is Friday, April 8th. 

It has only been a week, and the commute is already irritating me.  But there is light at the end of the tunnel, so I just need to hang on for a few more days. 

No comments: