Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Kindness on the #10

I really hate this time of year. Winter has gone on too long, I am tired of it being dark and cold and I start to get really restless. In order to keep myself sane, I am trying to make the best of it right now. That includes appreciating the small things.
When I started my new job, I also started commuting by bus. In the course of taking the bus everyday, I have observed a number of small acts of kindness. I see people routinely give up their seats for elderly passengers. I watched a woman pay another woman's bus fare. I watched a high school student carry an elderly woman's cart up the bus steps. I see people stop and ask the bus driver how he is doing, in a genuine way, not just the cursory way that we so often ask. I think I am a happier person when I stop to appreciate the small things and do some of them myself.

No comments: